Tuesday 7 August 2007

More than meets the eye

I went to go and see Transformers last night....After a couple of technical hiccups - the projectionist decided to treat us all to the trailers and first five minutes of Shrek 3 (nearly loosing a couple of limbs as a result of his incompetence, we were impatient) - my brain spent a couple of hours in complete shut down.

Wow.

I never watched the cartoons or bought the toys - way before my time (the tv series was out in 1984, I was born the following year) - but have managed to pick up the gist from my cohort of geeky male friends. It's about a bunch of alien robots who can transform into vehicles and other objects, some of whom are good (Autobots), some of whom are evil and want to destroy the human race (Decepticons). Simple stuff. I was, however, still sceptical that a load of Citroen rejects could hold my attention for a whole feature (and Shia La Beouf looks about 12 for goodness sake...). Boy was I wrong.

There's little to say apart from you must see this film. The plot is a load of rubbish and the characterisation is 2D and predictable - and I didn't care one jot. The first half of the film is funny nonetheless and the second half sheer eye candy....

The CGI, courtesy of good old ILM, is astounding. Absolutely gobsmacking. Both Autobots and Decepticons look, sound and feel real. The character development may be rushed and the Autobots' dialogue limited but by the end of the film you're rooting for the heroic Optimus Prime and his gang because of their stoicism (and the fact that they look so damned real)...I fell in love with Bumblebee and the hunk of metal doesn't talk for most of the film (and I've always hated Chevy's....).


The military kit is equally impressive - there are a shed load of very real, very shiny toys to feast your eyes on, from Osprey choppers, F-117s, F-22 Raptors, Hercs - the lot.

Don't go and see Transformers expecting an award winning screenplay but don't write it off as a kids movie either. There's plenty of adult humour to keep mum and dad chuckling in between the action.

In short, a decent family movie with adult undertones (global responsibility etc..) that is visually awesome. If you can't appreciate this movie for it's theatricals go crawl back under your rock - you don't deserve the gift of sight.


As I walked out into the afternoon sun and got into my car I couldn't help wishing there was something more to my Clio than meets the eye - ah, the magic of cinema. (Then reality kicked in, Transformers actually have taste....)

13 comments:

S said...

I've just read the first line of your post and determined you watch shit films... Potter then Transformers?

Okay, I'm off to read the rest...

S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
S said...

Oh No, and you actually liked it too. I shall be crawling back under my rock if only to stop you coming along and removing my sight.

One (possible) continuity error spotted in your blog too.

I went to go and see Transformers last night
&
As I walked out into the afternoon sun and got into my car I couldn't help wishing there was something more to my Clio

Jenny! said...

I hope my fiance doesnt read your blog...he will be on your doorstep wiht ring in hand in about 9 hours!

Em said...

James - ok, so I should of said yesterday....(I went at five - it was still light when I got out at seven - afternoon suns sounds better than evening sun) - they're both excellent films - just cos they're summer blockbusters doesn't mean they're "shit", take a look at my DVD collection sometime (don't bash my taste just because I've reviewed a couple of films you don't like, that's rather ignorant and aggressive - have you seen either of them?)

Jenny - at least your husband has a sense of fun (see above)

S said...

ignorant and Aggressive? Ooops. Didn't mean to touch a nerve, I was just winding you up.

I am inclined to say that I actually have watched them both, but that would be a lie, and I don't do lies, unlike some...evening/afternoon...JOKE!!!

Personal taste is well personal that's the point. You'll have to take me through your DVD collection. At I guess I reckon your a fan of things like Star Wars and Indiana Jones

Em said...

says so on my profile so it must be true...don't you have anything better to do than wind innocents like me up? as previously stated (read blog) my life is not perfect atm and i'm going through some serious personal crap, yes you touched a nerve, i don;t appreciate being bated...

Em said...

though of course i should be a brave, upstanding modern woman not baited by peeps but that just doesn't wash when you're feeling sensitive, and I am :( god damn I wish i could spell...

S said...

I was not trying to bait you and if you feel I was, I whole heartedly apologise.

Em said...

Thank you

Jenny! said...

Hey, I will probably like the movie when I see it too!

Jenny! said...

Are you two going to have make-up sex now???

Just kidding...I'm scared now!

Em said...

Scared? What about...? Don't be scared....join us (heh heh) ;)