Monday 9 July 2007

I know a bear that you don't know

So far I have pootled along with my outmoded, image free blogging but no more. Check this out....


My (some would argue unhealthy) diet of sci-fi and manga meant that my first reaction was nothing short of apocalyptic....Ahhhh...runaway! Quick mental leap to scenes of alien invasion or perhaps a new line in government stormtroopers but no - this sinister plastic shell is, in fact, a force for good.

Created by 22 year-old design student Luke Pannell, the "Breathe Air" helmet offers relief to cyclists suffering from asthma or hay fever. The nose and mouth are screened from the elements and the offending pollen filled air is filtered before it circulates inside the mask. Recommended retail price: around £100.

I have visions of them racing round our streets and bridleways, bespoke designs for the fashion conscious, polka dots and neon graffiti versions for the kids (imagine if they were glow in the dark, speeding out of the night...). Soon to be found in geek emporiums and fetish stores everywhere...

I don't doubt the theory and I'm sure they work as designed, preventing irritation of the sinuses and lungs but what if, by some unfortunate fluke or itchy nose, you happened to sneeze whilst wearing one? Yuck...

Modern parents are eschewing traditional nursery rhymes in favour of singing pop songs and TV theme tunes to their children. Surveyors MyVoice found that 40 per cent of parents could not remember even one full rhyme.

I'm not surprised by this and its not really that big a worry, parents are still singing to their kids, helping communication, memory and literary skills, which is the point. Does it matter whether its Humpty Dumpty or "washing machines live longer with Calgon"? I doubt it...

I do think it's a shame though...I can recite a fair few nursery rhymes and always used to enjoy them as a toddler. My parents used sing along with me, or when they wanted some peace and quiet they'd plonk me in front of the box and leave me watching Jack, Jill and Humpty do their thing...Then as I got older I learnt where songs like ring-a-roses came from and actually found it quite interesting (cultural history, oral traditions etc...).

There's something to be said for parents sticking to the age-old formula instead of teaching your kids whatever you fancy. At least the blood and gore of nursery rhymes is socially acceptable. My parents didn't just teach me nursery rhymes....I got sent home from kindergarden on one occassion (no kidding) for belting out the Yogi Bear Song (includes the lyrics: "Susie likes it on the fridge, Polar, Polar,Susie likes it on the fridge, Polar, Polar Bear...etc", amongst many others...) - thanks Dad.

5 comments:

S said...

Shock!!! Hang on a minute while I pick myself off the floor.....A Picture!! I was wondering why you hadn't used any pictures up until this point and thought it was down to one of three reasons.
1. Didn't know how to put them in a post.
2. Too lazy to find and use some.
3. Decided that blogging is best in it's purest form with text and nothing else. Which one(s) was it?

You never know next we might even see some links.

Em said...

guilty of two and three I'm afraid (you told me how in a previous e-mail, I remember this stuff you know, even if I'm too lazy to do much :) )...I tried to resist adding them but wanted to talk about that weird helmet and decided it was too much effort to describe the thing....

Eh, possibly...

Yokota Fritz said...

Whoo, that device looks unbelievably hot to me. Cyclists also need to expel mucous fairly regularly, which this face mask will interfere with. And how will I drink my cuppa while riding with my face covered?

Jenny! said...

I thought it was a stromtrooper helmut design! I love old school nursery songs...some are so not PC, but be sure that my son knows them!

Em said...

Fritz....some intricate tube from canteen to mouth....dunno....good point - it looks silly to me....

Jenny - good stuff!